Dealing With Your Child’s Education During an International Move

Dealing With Your Child’s Education During an International Move


Moving internationally with children can be a daunting task, especially if you need to find a new school for your brood.  Most countries offer several options when it comes to education – private, international, and state schools.  But, how do you choose? 

If you are moving abroad from the United States, you may consider an international school, as it will be the closest curriculum to its U.S. counterpart.  The international school is the most common option for U.S. expatriates, but often because some countries simply won’t allow foreign students to attend their state schools. 

Ultimately, the choice of where your child will go to school will come down to where you are moving to and if you will be returning to live in the U.S. before your child goes off to college.  If your child might go to a U.S. college, an international school might be the best preparation for an American school. 

The age of your child also plays a role in which school he or she will attend in your new country.  If your kids are small, chances are they will adapt to the new school system pretty easily.  Older kids may have a harder time due to culture and language differences. 

Overseas, it is common to have to pay upfront for your child’s education, even if they do not attend a state school.  International schools throughout Europe typically cost between $10,000 and $50,000 a year.  Sometimes, this is too expensive.  If you are relocating due to employment, you may be able to work your child’s education into the package. 

If you are getting ready to move overseas, your best bet is to do a little research.  Learn as much as you can before you even hire the moving company – your kid’s education is important! 

Jon Huser