It doesn’t matter whether you are packing a moving truck, portable storage unit or a moving van, there is always a little method to the madness. However, if you are packing your things up yourself, the responsibility of packing is all on you. So, if you aren’t hiring a moving company to help, we have some tips and tricks for you to keep in mind.
- Try not to wait till the last minute. The more rushed you are, the less organized you will be. Start packing your things as soon as you know when you are moving so that you can logically place them in the truck (or storage unit).
- Always use boxes or containers that are similar in shape and size. You’ll thank us for this tip later on.
- Never overstuff your boxes – they can get heavy! There will always be heavy lifting involved in a move, but why hurt your back in the process?
- Avoid leaving empty spaces in your boxes. Fill the voids with packing peanuts, newspaper or bubble wrap.
- Don’t pack anything that needs to be washed. This could cause mildew, mold or pests to damage your things.
- Group all of your items together so that it makes sense when you unpack them.
- Always label your moving boxes clearly.
The more organized you are during the packing process, the less frustrated you will be when you move. We promise!