On moving day, an extra set of hands or two can go a really long way. So, how do you go about hiring moving day help? If your buddies can’t make it or you’re on a tight budget and can’t afford professional movers, there is still a way to have a little help on moving day.
The first thing to remember is not to panic! Whether you’re staring at a sea of packed boxes or don’t know where to start, there is light at the end of the tunnel. There are still plenty of options – consider day laborers or professional movers looking for small side jobs. It just depends on your comfort level and budget.
- Moving Help Companies – There are actually moving help companies out there – they aren’t full-blown movers, but they can provide services and movers to help pack, load and unload, and everything in between!
- Professional Movers – Your local moving company may actually provide hourly workers, especially during the slower months (fall and winter.)
- Truck Rental Companies – Larger national companies often have a list of local movers that are willing to help out for a day or even a few hours.
- Temp Agencies – Temp agencies usually specialize in office workers, but some do handle general labor needs. Contact them for a flat quote, but beware that they may not have a lot of moving experience.
- Day Laborers – Consider a college kid or other day laborer for moving day. You may find day laborers near a home improvement store.