Have you ever even thought to ask a moving company if they offer bed bug insurance? If you’re like most people, probably not! Some companies offer it, but the preparation and method of moving is also important to keeping your home safe from infestation.
The question isn’t actually all that shocking when you think about it. People move a lot farther than they ever have before. We see on the news how many cities have bed bug infestations. So, bed bug insurance and extra precautions should be on the frontline for many moving professionals.
Lately, we’ve seen bed bug infestations on the rise in many major metropolitan and densely populated areas. There are also infestations in hotels, apartment buildings, colleges and public places (think movie theatres.) But, don’t let the fear of bed bugs stop you from moving.
There are some things you can do to protect your things from a bed bug infestation during a move. Check them out:
- If you already have a bed bug problem or are moving to a place that is known for such infestations, take preventative measures. Call an exterminator.
- Clean areas where the bugs and eggs may have been with hot, soapy water. Do this before and after you move.
- Vacuum all carpets and mattresses very carefully and right away.
- Cover your mattresses, box spring, and all bedding in plastic. Vent-free casings are the best.
- Always try to use new boxes and cartons to move freshly laundered bedding, pillows and clothing. If you are using used packing materials, line everything with sealable plastic bags.
Good luck moving. Don’t let the bedbugs bite! If you don’t have bed bugs, we’ll be happy to accomodate your needs.
-myBMS Moving & Storage