If you haven’t hired a moving company to pack up your house and move everything to your new home, you will need to pack that moving van or trailer yourself. Before you actually load everything up, it is a good idea to pre-plan your packing so that you know where and how everything will be moved. This will definitely save you time on loading and moving.
To get started, place plastic or cardboard sheeting on the floor of the trailer before you begin loading. This will make it easier to unpack when the time comes and will protect the bottom of your furniture. Next, follow these tips to help ease the entire move:
- Load heavy items and furniture first.
- Stand your sofa on end but be sure to anchor it so it doesn’t tip during transit.
- Secure your belongings with rope, bungee cords, or ratchet straps.
- Put all fragile items on top of the heavier items. Mark everything with “fragile” and properly secure everything.
- Use plenty of moving blankets and padding.
- Keep flat panel TVs upright – never lean it more than 15 degrees.
- Fill gaps with fillers like bagged pillows, stuffed animals, and furniture cushions.
- If you are getting ready for a long distance move, cover your shipment with large sheets of plastic to prevent damage from dirt and dust.
– Lance Grooms