About two months out, you should start thinking about certain aspects of your relocation. Unless you’re relocating on a whim, there is an incredible amount of planning required for a smooth commercial move. Follow these tips to ensure that your relocation goes off without a hitch.
Checklist: 8-10 Weeks before Moving
- Start calling moving companies for estimates. Some companies will give you an estimate online…just be careful if the company does not send a representative to confirm the price. You want to get a written estimate.
- Collect and call references on your prospective movers.
- Generate a moving budget.
- Plan for packing, timing, insurance, and shipping.
- Create a “relocation file” to keep all correspondence, receipts, and important papers.
- Look into tax deductions for moving.
Checklist: 7-8 Weeks before Moving
- Make an inventory list of everything you own and separate into categories including: “to be handled by movers,” “handled by me,” and “discard or give away.”
- Separate items that are hard or impossible to replace such as antique jewelry, mementos, stock certificates, and wills so that they are with you at all times.
- Have a garage sale or donate your unwanted items to charity.
- Arrange for disposal of other large items you aren’t moving with you.
- Organize your dental and medical records for the relocation.
- Check into driver licensing and auto tag registrations in your new area.
- Make arrangements for your children’s school records to be transferred.
Checklist: 5-6 Weeks before Moving
- Contact any local organizations and clubs about transferring, selling, or ending membership for when you move.
- Familiarize yourself with the new area – learn where the shopping districts, hospitals, fire departments, and police stations are. Get information on the local schools, parks, and other localities.