Did you know that the winter is the slowest season for selling a house? It makes sense, really. It’s cold, dreary, and sometimes there is just snow everywhere. So, if you have to move now and need to put your house on the market, you might be feeling a little down.
However, you don’t have to worry! There are ways to successfully sell your house in the winter. The combination of reduced competition and good staging can actually help you move the house off the market a little faster in the winter months.
The period between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day is typically the slowest time of year for moving and selling or buying a home. Most people are focused on family, holiday shopping and traveling. Another factor is that many people just don’t go house hunting in the extreme cold.
Here are some things that might help you sell your current home and get you relocated to your new house a little faster:
- Remember the Basics – Just because it’s cold out doesn’t mean you shouldn’t make the obligatory house repairs needed to make the sale.
- Price Aggressively – Nothing helps sell a house more than competitive pricing. This is especially true in the winter.
- Think Warm and Cozy – In the winter, everyone wants something warm and welcoming – so stage your house accordingly. If you’ve got a fireplace, use it!
- Shovel Neatly – If there’s snow on the ground, shovel those paths neatly and frequently.
- Good Lighting is Important – There’s less light in the winter, so make sure to keep your drapes open and use some really nice lighting inside.
- Decorate Tastefully for the Holidays – Nothing brings a sense of the season like tasteful holiday decorations.